Physio-oncology is an approach for people with cancer who have functional restrictions.
Medical interventions (surgery, radiotherapy, chemotherapy) for the treatment of cancer, although necessary, are not without side effects. Often, these interventions have an impact on the patient’s physical abilities.
Know that each condition is unique. At Physio + Hamel, our priority is to establish a safe treatment plan in collaboration with the medical oncology team.
The management of a cancer patient in physiotherapy must be comprehensive and safe to achieve the goals that are important to him.
Our approach is personalized based on their recommendations while respecting the objectives of each patient.
The practice of physical activity authorized by your doctor can bring many benefits on the quality of life of people with cancer, and this, throughout their treatment. At Physio + Hamel, your physiotherapist will be able to present you with a program and provide you with the necessary care to maintain good physical activity during your treatment and regain your daily mobility without discomfort, blockage or pain.
Do not hesitate to ask our professionals for help in order to get the good advice and support you need.
Treatment may include stretching techniques, manual therapy, specific exercises, tapping, and lots of teaching and counseling about your condition. In addition, it is important to integrate an exercise program to facilitate long-term recovery in a physio-oncology setting.
Common symptoms in oncology that can be treated in physiotherapy
- Cicatricial adhesions affecting movement
- Pain and fatigue
- Loss of autonomy and balance
- Muscle and joint stiffness
- Loss of muscle mass due to lack of mobility
- Bad postures and fear of moving
Treatment objectives in physio-oncology:
- Improve overall fitness
- Maintain maximum amplitude and strength in the affected limb
- Reduce the risk of complications (deconditioning, weight gain, ankylosis, etc.)
- Maximize quality of life and improve comfort
- Encourage the adoption of healthy lifestyle habits and healthy postural hygiene
- Promote patient autonomy by teaching exercise programs at home
Make an appointment online for a consultation to begin your health journey.